Roasted Carrot & Butternut Squash Kale Salad
- 1 small (1.5 – 2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups carrots, chopped into 1-inch size pieces (about 4-5 medium carrots)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- Spices: 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt; 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon; ¼ teaspoon coriander; ¼ teaspoon ground ginger; ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bunches curly kale, stems removed, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup chopped dried cranberries
- ½ cup toasted seeds or nuts
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 2 scoops [Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens|https://shop.organixx.com/products/clean-sourced-collagens/ powder] (optional)
- Avocado chunks, dried cranberries/cherries, apple chunks, pumpkin/sunflower seeds, quinoa, your favorite protein… endless possibilities!
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, add the butternut squash cubes, carrots, olive oil, spices, and toss to coat. Place on the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for about 30 – 35 minutes, stirring halfway, or until tender and slightly browned on edges.
- While veggies are roasting, make the dressing by placing all ingredients into a glass jar, place on lid and shake up well or blend for a smoother consistency. Store dressing in the refrigerator.
- Prepare kale by removing the hard middle stem. Then either rip up or cut up the leaves into bite-sized pieces. Place into a large mixing bowl.
- When ready to serve, add dressing to kale and massage it for a few minutes with your hands until the kale is reduced in size, softened, and has turned dark green. Add in roasted veggies, dried cranberries, nuts, and any desired additional add-ins. Toss, serve, and enjoy!
Serves 6-8. Per Serving (based on using pecans & Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens):
Calories: 295 |
Total Fat: 19 g |
Total Carbohydrate: 24 g |
Dietary Fiber: 5 g |
Protein: 5 g
Apple Cider Vinegar is full of enzymes and good bacteria. It contains acetic acid, which has been shown to help lower blood pressure.
Butternut squash is an orange-fleshed winter squash with a sweet, nutty flavor that can be eaten hot or cold. A one-cup serving contains almost 500mg of potassium and 7g of fiber and is loaded with vitamin A and other nutrients.
Carrots were originally medicine, not food. They’ve been used in potions and remedies for the stomach, bladder, jaundice, the easing of menstruation, and cancer.
Cayenne pepper is a good source of beta carotene and antioxidants that support the immune system. The key compound in cayenne called capsaicin is also cardioprotective, anti-inflammatory, helps prevent kidney stones and speed up metabolism, and has beneficial effects on the GI system.
Cinnamon is a good ally in fighting respiratory infections due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and expectorant properties.
Unlike fresh cranberries, dried cranberries have very few health benefits. For the healthiest option, look for organic dried cranberries that have been sweetened with apple juice, versus less healthy forms of added sugar.
Pure olive oil is high in nutrients including vitamins D, E, K, and A as well as omega-3 fatty acids. For the highest quality, look for organic extra virgin olive oil in dark glass bottles or tins that have an expiry date.
Ginger is a potent aromatic herb and a good natural source of vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese. It has been used for thousands of years in Asia to treat stomach ache, diarrhea, and nausea.
Kale is a powerful detoxifier, supports heart health, and is anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial.
Enzymes in fresh lemon juice accelerate the digestive process. Even though lemon juice is acidic, it actually has an alkalizing effect on the body.
With the Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens in this recipe, you not only get 5 different types of collagen, but also camu camu, acerola cherry, horsetail extract (silica), and zinc gluconate to ensure your body can actually USE the collagen you’re taking.