Heart-Healthy Roasted Beet HummusReading Time: < 1 minute
- 1 medium beet, peeled & cubed (about ½ cup)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 3 Tablespoons tahini (or cashew/almond butter)
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3 Tablespoon lemon juice (about 1 small lemon)
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Optional: 2 scoops Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens powder
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut ends off beet, peel, and cut into 1-inch chunks. (Tip: roast 4-5 beets at a time and save them for salads, smoothies, and other recipes). Toss beet cubes with olive oil (I used 1 ½ TBSP for 4 beets). Spread out in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Measure out ½ cup of the cooled beets and place in a food processor. Pulse a few times to break up into smaller pieces. Add in the remaining ingredients except for the olive oil and pulse up again to incorporate. While the processor is running, slowly add the olive oil. Add in filtered water 1 TBSP at a time for a thinner consistency.
Serves 4. Per Serving (based on using cashew butter & Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens powder):
Calories: 557 | Total Fat: 25 g | Total Carbohydrate: 66 g | Dietary Fiber: 17 g | Protein: 25 g
Beets contain betaine, which helps reduce the risk of heart disease, supports liver function and detoxification, and can help with digestion.
You can easily make your own cashew or almond butter at home by blending raw or roasted cashews or almonds.
Cayenne pepper is a good source of beta carotene and antioxidants that support the immune system. The key compound in cayenne called capsaicin is also cardioprotective, anti-inflammatory, helps prevent kidney stones and speed up metabolism, and has beneficial effects on the GI system.
Chickpeas are a good plant-based source of protein and fiber. They are packed with nutrients including iron, vitamins B6 and K, magnesium, folate, phosphorus, zinc, copper, manganese, choline, and selenium.
Collagen helps maintain the structure and integrity of skin, hair, nails, muscle tissue, bones, tendons, and more. Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens includes targeted nutrients such as zinc, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 which enhance the bioavailability and potency of collagen.
There are over 300 varieties of garlic grown around the world. It is considered both a vegetable and an herb and is clinically proven to support the immune system.
Enzymes in fresh lemon juice accelerate the digestive process. Even though lemon juice is acidic, it actually has an alkalizing effect on the body.
Pure olive oil is high in nutrients including vitamins D, E, K, and A as well as omega-3 fatty acids. For the highest quality, look for organic extra virgin olive oil in dark glass bottles or tins that have an expiry date.