Maple Pecan Delicata SquashReading Time: < 1 minute
- 2 medium delicata squash, seeded & sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dried cranberries
- Dried cherries
- Pomegranate seeds
- In a small mixing bowl add pecans and toss with maple syrup, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Spread out on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast in a 375F preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes, watching closely so as not to burn.
- While pecans roast, prepare squash by slicing off both ends, cutting squash lengthwise, and scooping out the seeds. Lay squash flat side down and cut into ½ inch thick slices or “half-moons.”
- When pecans are done roasting, increase oven to 400F.
- Toss squash with olive oil and salt. On parchment-lined baking sheet, bake in 400F oven for about 20 – 25 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Serve squash warm topped with roasted maple pecans.
Serves 6. Per Serving (based on using olive oil):
Calories: 177 | Total Fat: 9 g | Total Carbohydrate: 23 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Protein: 3 g
The high beta-carotene content of cayenne pepper has been found to increase immunity and help reduce symptoms in asthma.
Dried cherries have had a large amount of their moisture removed which concentrates their flavor and nutrients. For the healthiest option, look for organic cherries with no added sugar or preservatives.
Cinnamon is a good ally in fighting respiratory infections due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and expectorant properties.
Delicata squash is a type of winter squash known for its striped skin and bright orange flesh. This nutty, creamy squash is high in dietary fiber and an excellent source of vitamins A and C.
Unlike fresh cranberries, dried cranberries have very few health benefits. For the healthiest option, look for organic dried cranberries that have been sweetened with apple juice, versus less healthy forms of added sugar.
Maple syrup contains a number of minerals including manganese, zinc, calcium, and potassium. It also contains amino acids, antioxidants, and even some anti-inflammatory compounds.
Pure olive oil is high in nutrients including vitamins D, E, K, and A as well as omega-3 fatty acids. For the highest quality, look for organic extra virgin olive oil in dark glass bottles or tins that have an expiry date.
Packed with unique antioxidants, pomegranate seeds help prevent wrinkles and age spots while keeping skin youthful and tight as you age. They also soothe inflammation, boost memory, and aid in weight management.