Low Carb Vanilla Hot Cross Buns
- 2/3 cup (60g) almond flour
- 1/2 cup (55g) coconut flour
- 1 level scoop Organixx Vanilla Bone Broth Protein
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp cloves & 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- 1/2 teaspoon additional cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon finely grated orange peel or 4 drops of Organixx Orange Essential Oil
- 1/4 cup (50-60ml) full-fat coconut milk
- Low-carb mini dark chocolate chips (for making cross on top of buns)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together almond and coconut flour. Stir in baking powder, vanilla bone broth powder, salt, spices, and orange peel (if using) and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, and orange essential oil (if using).
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir well.
- Divide dough into 8 even parts. Using your hands, roll dough into balls and place onto the lined baking sheet. Flatten out each bun gently and using a sharp knife, carve a cross on the top of each bun. Carefully place chocolate chips into the carved out crosses.
- Bake in oven for about 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center of bun.
- Enjoy warm or cooled!
Serves 6. Per Serving (based on using pumpkin pie spice & orange peel):
Calories: 184.4 | Total Fat: 12.2 g | Total Carbohydrate: 9.3 g | Dietary Fiber: 5.8 g | Protein: 10.5 g
Almond flour is a gluten-free flour made by grinding almonds after the skin has been removed. It’s softer and finer than almond meal which is made by grinding almonds with the skin left on.
Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and helps lower blood sugar levels and inflammation. A compound in real cinnamon called cinnamaldehyde has been found to help ward off Alzheimer’s disease.
Coconut flour is another gluten-free soft flour made from the pulp left over after producing coconut milk. Both almond and coconut flour are very popular in low-carb and keto recipes as they are much lower in carbs than wheat flour.
Coconut milk is made from the flesh of mature coconuts and is naturally sweet and creamy. It contains lauric acid, which has antimicrobial and anticancer properties and can help boost immune function.
Good quality dark chocolate is high in antioxidants, rich in fiber, and contains minerals such as iron, magnesium, copper, and manganese.
Orange essential oil is extracted from the rind (peel) of oranges not the flesh of the fruit. To avoid pesticide exposure, only use the rind from organic (well-washed) fruit or from pure, organic essential oils in recipes.
Each scoop of Organixx Bone Broth Protein powder contains 20g of gut-friendly protein.
In addition to being popular cooking spices, the individual spices in pumpkin pie spice (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove) all have a long list of health and medicinal benefits.