Homemade Mayo by Amanda
- 1 cup liquid monounsaturated oil (avocado works great, olive will work too but has a stronger flavor)
- 1 organic, pastured egg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine Celtic sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- White pepper, garlic powder, chipotle powder, turmeric, or other spices to taste (optional)
- Tall glass jar that immersion blender fits into (wide mouth pint mason jars are perfect)
- Pour the oil into the jar. Crack the egg and add, along with the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and other spices.
- Place the stick blender all the way to the bottom of the jar and turn it on high.
- Allow the blender to run until most of the egg is emulsified (the emulsification will work its way to the top).
- Slowly move the blender up to continue to emulsify the mixture. Move it slowly up and down to get everything combined. It will start to thicken and look like mayonnaise after a few minutes.
- You can taste and add additional salt or other spices and blend as needed.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
Serves 12. Per Serving (based on using avocado oil):
Calories: 179.2 | Total Fat: 19.1 g | Total Carbohydrate: 0 g | Dietary Fiber: 0 g | Protein: 0.5 g