How to Make Your Own Healthy Toothpaste (Recipe included)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons food-grade bentonite clay
- 5-10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5-10 drops of clove
- 1 tablespoon xylitol or 1⁄2 teaspoon stevia for sweetness (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together.
- Put into a rubber tube or sealed glass container.
- Brush your teeth for 2 minutes, two to three times daily.
Looking for a safe, non-toxic way to promote whiter, healthier teeth without the use of harsh chemicals? With just a few ingredients, you can bid farewell to drugstore brands of toothpaste which often contain harmful fluoride, synthetic foaming agents, and antibacterial chemicals like triclosan.
It’s simple to make your own toothpaste at home using natural substances like food-grade diatomaceous earth (a type of magnetic clay), bentonite clay, and/or activated charcoal along with a healthy fat like coconut oil. Add one or more essential oils for the finishing touch.
Store your toothpaste in a sealed container. A small glass mason jar works well. To use, scoop a small amount out of the jar using a clean spoon or popsicle stick, spread on wet toothbrush bristles, and brush teeth as usual.
Here’s an easy DIY toothpaste recipe for you to try. Feel free to experiment with different essential oils to come up with a signature toothpaste “taste” that you love.