Herb Encrusted Roasted Turkey Drumsticks
We recommend using fresh, organic ingredients whenever possible!
- 4 turkey legs
- 3 tablespoons of quality salt (e.g., Himalayan pink or sea salt)
- 8 cups of filtered or spring water
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 4-5 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 black cardamoms (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of dark soy sauce
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tablespoons of oil (for the onion paste)
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- In a large bowl, combine your water and salt and stir until all of the salt has dissolved.
- Add in the bay leaves, crushed garlic cloves and black cardamoms (optional).
- Add in the turkey legs and let them brine in your fridge for 24 hours.
- Blitz half an onion with two tablespoons of oil until it becomes a paste in your food processor. (If you do not own a food processor, grate your onion.)
- Melt your butter while slowly adding in the the onion paste, 1/4 cup of oil, soy sauces, and herbs into a bowl and mix all the ingredients well. Use this to glaze the turkey later on! (Note: Your glaze may thicken as your recipe cools, but it will quickly melt back into the oil once it's brushed on the hot turkey drumsticks!)
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F (177C) Then, suspend your turkey using a roasting pan with a rack in it, making sure there is air flow between the container and the bottom of the turkey. (D.I.Y. TIP: If you don’t have a rack you can use, take tinfoil and roughly press it together to create a course, rough texture, then place the turkey legs on top.)
- Once the oven is preheated, place the turkey legs in the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.
- Glaze your turkey legs when they are done in the oven with the herb glaze every 15-20 minutes
- The turkey legs should take between 1 hour and 30 minutes but use a meat thermometer to be sure. The internal temperature should be 165F (74C). When you cut into the turkey, the juices should be clear and not bloody.
Serves 4. Per Serving:
Calories: 414.2 | Total Fat: 35.5 g | Total Carbohydrate: 3.9 g | Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g | Protein: 21 g