Empowering You Organically – Season 4 – Episode 30
Title: Organic and GMO Myths Exposed
Hosts: Jonathan Hunsaker, TeriAnn Trevenen
Description: Jeffrey Smith is back talking GMOs! Join us as we dive even deeper into the murky world of GMOs and RoundUp. Jeffrey helps bust some myths and explains how we got to where we are now. You want to understand what Roundup (Glyphosate) does to your body so tune in and let Jeffrey explain in layman’s terms.
* * *
About Jeffrey Smith
Jeffrey is the founding executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology and the leading consumer advocate promoting healthier non-GMO choices. He was named the 2017 Person of the Year by Masters of Health Magazine for more than two decades or work in 45 countries exposing how biotech companies mislead policymakers and the public and put the health of society at risk.
In 2018, he and Amy Hart released Secret Ingredients, a documentary that highlights numerous individuals and families that healed from serious conditions after switching to an organic diet. His feature-length documentary, Genetic Roulette: The Gamble of Our Lives was awarded the 2012 Movie of the Year, and inspired millions worldwide to choose healthier non-GMO foods.
His books include Seeds of Deception, it is the world’s bestseller on GMOs, and Genetic Roulette: The Documented Health Risks of Genetically Engineered Foods. He has counseled government leaders and healthcare practitioners from every continent and has been quoted by thousands of news outlets, including The New York Times, the Washington Post, and Time Magazine. He appears on influential radio and television programs, including the BBC, NPR, Fox News, Democracy Now, The Doctors, and the Dr. Oz Show.
Secret Ingredients – SecretIngredientsMovie.com
- “The most effective and efficient tool at convincing people that they absolutely have to eat organic immediately”, Jeffrey Smith
- In the film, all these people get better from different diseases and disorders just after switching to organic food.
- then they realize the role of the food and the secret ingredients in the food
GMOs That Are Sprayed With Roundup
- Cotton (for cottonseed oil)
- Sugar Beets
- Yellow Squash
- Papaya – from China & Hawaii
- Potatoes and Apples (engineered not to go brown)
- Can change expression in our bodies – very dangerous
- In fact, the person who made the potato, the scientist who first worked at Monsanto and then later at J.R. Simplot, Cauis Rommens, wrote a book after that, Pandora’s Potato is the Worst GMO. He realized after he retired that it was a travesty and could be causing massive damage to health.
Other Mom-GMO Crops That Are Regularly Sprayed With Roundup
- Sweet Potatoes
- …and more!
What Roundup (Glyphosate) Does To Your Body
- It’s primary poison is called glyphosate.
- Glyphosate was patented as a chelator.
- It chelates with all sorts of minerals making them unavailable, and these are the minerals we want to have available.
- . The reason it was patented, it was patented as a descaler to clean the mineral deposits inside industrial boilers and pipes. So it was a cleaning chemical.
- It kills the beneficial bacteria in the soil and also in our guts, but not the nasty pathogens.
- It blocks the shikimate pathway which is a seven-step metabolic route used by cells to function.
- The shikimate pathway is used by gut bacteria to produce the precursors to; serotonin, melatonin, dopamine.
- Causes a leaky gut.
- “When you take human cells in a Petri dish that are bound tightly together with tight junctions, and you add Roundup in that Petri dish, they separate. So it loses the tight junctions. If that happens inside our gut, that’s leaky gut.”
- Linked to birth defects.
- Linked to increased cancer numbers.
An Activist’s Timeline
- IRT started talking about the health dangers early on, 1996.
- Jeffrey published Seeds of Deception in 2003. It became a world best seller. He traveled all over the world with that book. People started changing the way they’re talking about GMOs.
- Starting around 2010, I found that people who had been reading my books and reading my articles which were not lightweight. They were detailed and long as to ensure understanding of all the issues we faced with GMOs and glyphosate.
- In 2010, IRT created the Tipping Point Network of groups.
- In 2010 the Non-GMO Project came up. Started to verify products. There was a flood of people trying to get their products, Non-GMO Project verified so that they would get a boost in sales. So there was an 18-month waiting list for getting their verification.
- In 2012, he released the movie Genetic Roulette, and also there was a ballot initiative in California for labeling. Between the two of them, the number of people that were concerned about the health dangers in GMOs went from 51% in 2012 to 61% in 2013.
- Whole Foods, in 2013, said at the Natural Foods Expo West, “We’re going to require products to be either organic, certified, or Non-GMO Project verified by 2018, or they will be considered GMOs.” They also mentioned that when a product becomes non-GMO verified, there’s an increase in sales at 15 to 30%. That was the tipping point for the natural products industry.
- At the beginning of 2014, other products started to do the same, who are not in the natural products industry, first was Cheerios, and then Grape-Nuts. It started in 2014 in the mainstream, and now it’s 46% of Americans say they’re seeking non-GMO food.
- All the major food companies are putting more and more effort into replacing the GM ingredients due to consumer demand.
- Then comes along 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, determines that glyphosate is a class two A carcinogen. In particularly for non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
- Now, the lawyers are involved because of the non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and they started to defend and take on cases of people that had non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma that were using Roundup, or the survivors. And winning.
GMOs are the same as Crossbreeding
- The FDA scientists have said GMOs are different, lead to different risks, compared to natural breeding.
- George Wald, the Noble Laureate, said the same thing.
- Belinda Martineau, who did the first GMO tomato. It’s no longer on the market. She says, “Of course it’s not an extension of natural breeding. It’s different. It leads to different risks. It creates massive collateral damage that’s not seen in nature. Those mutations can be dangerous. A single point mutation can kill someone, and there can be hundreds or thousands of them when you do these transformations with genetic engineering.”
GMOs Increase Average Yield & Help Feed the World
- Over 400 scientists contributed to a document for the United Nations. The most comprehensive evaluation, how to feed the world. What do they say about GMOs? Doesn’t apply. It’s not a solution. It does not have any positive impact to feed the hungry world, eradicate poverty, or create sustainable agriculture.
- The NY Times’ article agrees. Doubts About the Promised Bounty of Genetically Modified Crops
- It doesn’t increase average yield, and yet agroecology and things like beyond organic can double yields in developing countries.
* * *
Subscribe to Empowering You Organically
Never miss an episode!
Episode 30 – Organic and GMO Myths Exposed