Empowering you Organically – Season 5 – Episode 31
Title: How To Use Water To Heal Anxiety, Depression, and Sadness
Hosts: Jonathan Hunsaker & TeriAnn Trevenen
Guest: Dr. Wallace “J” Nichols
Description: 71 percent of the planet’s covered by ocean. It holds the most life, the most diversity, and it’s the source of life. Join us this week as we talk to Dr. Wallace “J” Nichols and explore Blue Mind. In this episode, he shares the cognitive, emotional, psychological, social, and spiritual benefits of how being near, in, or on water can change your brain state and be a powerful wellness tool.
* * *
About Dr. Wallace “J” Nichols
- Wallace “J.” Nichols, called “Keeper of the Sea” by GQ Magazine and “a visionary” by Outside Magazine, featured in Time, PBS, and many other media outlets
- He is an entrepreneurial scientist, movement maker, voracious idea explorer, New York Times best-selling author, international speaker, loving Dad, and strategic advisor and collaborator.
- He created the phenomenon Blue Mind, a powerful new universal story of water and a movement of global proportions.
Blue Mind Health Documentary
- Blue Mind Health is the amazing free documentary series created to share how you can get energized, create more joy in your life and revitalize your health with Blue Mind.
- You can watch it here at http://organixx18.mybluemind.hop.clickbank.net/?pid=215&tid=podcast-20190522
What is Blue Mind?
- Mildly-meditative, kind of relaxed state we move into when we’re near, in, on, or underwater, or when we’re thinking about those things.
- There’s science backing up how water shifts our mental state, our emotional state, how it calms us and centers us, how it connects us to each other in the best possible ways, and even boosts creativity.
Maintaining the Blue Mind State
- Prioritize your water time.
- Prioritize your downtime.
- Understand what your body needs to restore
- May be sleep
- May be a long soaking bath
- May be a mindful shower
- May be a float spa – a sensory deprivation tank
- May be a weekend retreat to the lake, ocean, river, or mountains
What is Red Mind?
- Our normal base state in modern society; you’re wired, you’re dialed in, you’re over-connected, you’re striving towards goals.
- While necessary if it’s all you have you will burn out.
- It affects our sleep, it affects our performance, it affects our relationships, it affects our physical wellbeing and our emotional wellbeing.
What is Grey Mind?
- When you’ve hit burn out stage by living only in Red Mind constantly.
- It’s just the burnt out, indifferent, numbed-out, disconnected, don’t care much about anything anymore state, mildly depressed, or even severely depressed.
- And we’ve all been there, too, where you’re just spent. And that may last an afternoon, it may last days, weeks, months, and even years.
- It’s the chronic social and psychological stress that just eats you up, that never goes away.
Relieving the Grey Mind State
- Social interactions
- Experiencing the beauty of nature, being out, being in awe and wonder, out on the water, out on the mountain, and moving your body outside.
J’s 3 Big Takeaways
- Emotional health is the basis of sustainability.
- Have a health value equation – when we UNDERvalue anything or anyone bad things happen.
- Idea of common knowledge – something moves from private knowledge, or shared knowledge, into the realm of common knowledge, that we all know.
Ocean Health Impacts Human Health
- 71 percent of the planet’s covered by ocean. It holds the most life, the most diversity, and it’s the source of life.
- Various aspects of the problems, whether it’s overfishing, or plastic pollution, warming oceans
- Ecologically, it’s obviously very important.
- An educational perspective, whether it’s metaphors, ocean metaphors, or just learning about the ocean science, there’s just educational component.
- The oceans are a big source of emotional health in humans.
- That stress that water removes, that affects every single cell in our body, every single thing we do, our creativity, our relationships, our wellness, everything, how we interact with everybody, and how we interact with everything is affected by that stress reduction
* * *
Subscribe to Empowering You Organically
Never miss an episode!
APPLE PODCASTS SPOTIFY GOOGLE PODCASTS
Episode 31 – How To Use Water To Heal Anxiety, Depression, and Sadness