Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Cranberry Pear Pie
- 2 cups hazelnuts or pecans
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or ghee
- 4 Tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon filtered water
- ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 5 firm Bartlett pears, peeled & cut into chunks (about ½-¾ inch)
- 10 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries (thaw if frozen)
- 1 organic orange to make 2 tsp grated orange zest + 2 TBSP fresh orange juice
- 2 scoops Organixx Collagens powder (use 2 TBSP arrowroot powder for vegan option)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ⅓ to ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons tapioca powder (optional for extra thickening)
- Easy Vegan Whipping Cream
- Grind up nuts in a food processor until they reach a flour consistency. Add in coconut oil, sugar, water, and salt. Process again until combined.
- Lightly grease bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate with coconut oil. Add dough mixture and press evenly into bottom and sides of pan to form a pie crust. Bake at 325F for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and prepare filling.
- Make filling by adding cranberries, orange juice and zest, collagens powder, cinnamon, ginger, sugar, and maple syrup to food processor. Pulse several times just to break up cranberries and combine ingredients.
- Add cranberry mixture and chopped pears to a large pot and gently mix together. Cook for 15-20 minutes over medium heat on stovetop, stirring frequently until pears soften. If mixture is sticking to pan, add in 1 to 2 Tablespoons of water.
- Add cooked filling to pie crust and bake in the oven at 325F for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let pie cool slightly before serving, otherwise it can break apart. Delicious with a dollop of Easy Vegan Whipping Cream on top!
Serves 8. Per Serving (based on using hazelnuts, coconut oil & Organixx collagens powder):
Calories: 353.3 | Total Fat: 21.9 g | Total Carbohydrate: 40.3 g | Dietary Fiber: 7.7 g | Protein: 7.6 g
Just one-half teaspoon of cinnamon daily can have positive effects on blood sugar levels, digestion, immunity, and more.
Refined coconut oil has a neutral scent and flavor which makes it better for recipes where you don’t want the taste of coconut.
Coconut sugar is a natural sugar made from coconut palm sap. It’s the color and consistency of raw sugar but is considered somewhat healthier than table sugar as it has a lower glycemic index and contains some minerals, antioxidants, and fiber.
Collagen helps maintain the structure and integrity of skin, hair, nails, muscle tissue, bones, tendons, and more. Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens includes targeted nutrients such as zinc, vitamin C, and vitamin B6 which enhance the bioavailability and potency of collagen.
High in vitamin C, cranberries have long been known to the indigenous people of North America for their health benefits. New England sailors consumed them to prevent scurvy, and they’ve been a popular folk remedy for the treatment of bacterial urinary tract infections (UTIs) since the turn of the century.
Ginger is a potent aromatic herb and a good natural source of vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese. It has been used for thousands of years in Asia to treat stomach ache, diarrhea, and nausea.
Hazelnuts, also known as filberts, are marble-sized nuts that are a nutrient-rich source of carbohydrates, healthy fats, protein, dietary fiber. Unlike most other nuts, hazelnuts are also an excellent source of folate.
Maple syrup contains a number of minerals including manganese, zinc, calcium, and potassium. It also contains amino acids, antioxidants, and even some anti-inflammatory compounds.
Orange is best known as being a good source of vitamin C, but is often overlooked for its other amazing benefits, such as supporting the immune system.
Pears The Bartlett pear in North America is the same variety that is called the “Williams” in many other parts of the world. Bartletts found in grocery stores are usually green and will change to yellow as they ripen at room temperature.
Tapioca flour is a starch from the cassava (aka Yucca root) that makes an excellent gluten-free thickener. It contains folate, vitamins B and K, and is rich in iron and calcium.