Healing Chicken Soup
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 5 – 8 cloves garlic, halved (about ¼ cup)
- 2 inches ginger root, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt, divided
- 1 Tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to personal taste)
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed (about 6 cups; can substitute with spinach)
- 1 ½ cups chopped carrots
- 1 ½ cups chopped celery
- 1 ½ lb skinless & boneless chicken thighs, chopped
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 6 cups filtered water
- 2 Organixx 7 Mushrooms capsules, opened (optional)
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Cooked rice or noodles (optional)
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Heat for about 1 minute and then add in onion, garlic, ginger, and ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Saute for about 10-12 minutes until onions are translucent. (Cooking time will vary depending on size of onion, garlic, and ginger pieces.) Stir in curry powder and cayenne pepper and cook for one more minute.
- Add in the chopped kale/spinach (and a little bit of water, if needed) and saute for a minute more just to soften. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a large pot and heat over medium heat for about one minute. Add in carrots, celery, chicken, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Saute until chicken is lightly browned. Add in broth and filtered water and simmer for 25 minutes or until veggies are desired tenderness and chicken is fully cooked (can cook up to an hour).
- Optional step: Add cooled kale mixture to a blender along with 7 Mushrooms capsule contents and enough filtered water to blend (about ¾ cup). Blend up well. Note: if you add blended kale to soup, it will turn it green
- When ready to serve, add in kale mixture (either blended or not blended) along with lemon juice. If adding cooked rice/noodles, add now. Stir and serve warm. Enjoy!
Serves 6. Per Serving (based on using kale):
Calories: 269.3 | Total Fat: 16.8 g | Total Carbohydrate: 11.9 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Protein: 19.3 g
7 Mushrooms from Organixx is a proprietary blend of 7 potent nutritional mushrooms well-known for their immune system support and anti-aging properties.
Carrots were originally medicine, not food. They’ve been used in potions and remedies for the stomach, bladder, jaundice, the easing of menstruation, and cancer.
Cayenne pepper is a good source of beta carotene and antioxidants that support the immune system. The key compound in cayenne called capsaicin is also cardioprotective, anti-inflammatory, helps prevent kidney stones and speed up metabolism, and has beneficial effects on the GI system.
Celery is rich in the flavonoid apigenin, which has been found to inhibit tumor initiation, progression, and metastasis in a wide variety of cancers.
Chicken Broth Tip: Replace the chicken broth with 2 scoops of Organixx Plain Bone Broth dissolved in 2 cups water for additional health benefits.
There are over 300 varieties of garlic grown around the world. It is considered both a vegetable and an herb and is clinically proven to support the immune system.
Ginger is a potent aromatic herb and a good natural source of vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, copper, and manganese. It has been used for thousands of years in Asia to treat stomach ache, diarrhea, and nausea.
Kale contains the omega-3 fatty acid ALA, which is a potent antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals. It’s also an excellent source of vitamins K, A, and C, as well as copper and manganese.
Enzymes in fresh lemon juice accelerate the digestive process. Even though lemon juice is acidic, it actually has an alkalizing effect on the body.
Pure olive oil is high in nutrients including vitamins D, E, K, and A as well as omega-3 fatty acids. For the highest quality, look for organic extra virgin olive oil in dark glass bottles or tins that have an expiry date.
Onions are nutrient-dense, meaning they’re low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals such as vitamins C, B, and potassium. The flavanoids are concentrated in the outer layers, so try to remove as few layers as possible when peeling.