Chickpea Flour Banana Muffins
- 1 ½ cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Ceylon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs (or 2 flax eggs)
- ⅓ cup ghee, butter or coconut oil, melted & cooled (can substitute applesauce)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup blueberries
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, sweetener, eggs, oil/butter, apple cider vinegar, and extract, if using. Whisk together well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in any optional add-ins.
- Scoop batter into paper-lined muffin cups. Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for 14 – 16 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle of muffin. Enjoy warm or cooled!
Makes 12. Per muffin (based on using honey, eggs, and ghee):
Calories: 165 |
Total Fat: 8 g |
Total Carbohydrate: 20 g |
Dietary Fiber: 2 g |
Protein: 4 g
Almond extract is a concentrated liquid made from bitter almond oil, alcohol, and water. It’s used as a flavoring in baking, much like vanilla.
Apple Cider Vinegar is full of enzymes and good bacteria. It contains acetic acid, which has been shown to help lower blood pressure.
Bananas are rich in potassium and fiber, which help to lower blood pressure and support heart health. Ripe bananas are easier to digest and have higher levels of antioxidants as they ripen.
Chickpea flour is a gluten-free flour made by grinding chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and is also known as besan or gram flour. It is much higher in protein, fiber, and nutrients than wheat flour.
Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants and helps lower blood sugar levels and inflammation.
Coconut oil provides a boost of healthy fat that can energize and satiate. It is a strong antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial food.
Egg yolks are rich in nutrients including iron and vitamins A, D, E, and K, but it’s the white that provides the most protein. An average-size egg contains around 6-7 grams of protein with around 4 grams coming from the egg white.
Ghee is a type of clarified butter that has had the milk solids removed. It is rich in fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K.
Maple syrup contains a number of minerals including manganese, zinc, calcium, and potassium. It also contains amino acids, antioxidants, and even some anti-inflammatory compounds.