Empowering you Organically – Season 6 – Episode 42
Title: The Top 6 Reasons to Fast
Hosts: Jonathan Hunsaker, TeriAnn Trevenen
Description: Join us today as we take a deeper dive into fasting, our personal experiences with fasting, six solid reasons to consider fasting, things to look out for to ensure you fast safely, and some other good tips and tricks to help you on your journey to health.
* * *
What Is Fasting?
- Fasting is the abstinence or reduction from some or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.
- An absolute fast or dry fasting is normally defined as abstinence from all food and liquid for a defined period.
- See our previous episode, Fasting: Healthy or Harmful? – Episode 40, on fasting for more information.
Jonathan’s Experience with Fasting
- Tried different fasts.
- NOMAD – No Meals A Day
- OMAD – One Meal A Day
- Extended water fasts
- Intermittent fasting
- Initially motivated by wanting to lose weight.
- Didn’t initially know all the benefits of fasting.
- First extended water fast was early 2019.
- “I ran the most miles I’d ever ran in a week the same time that I did that water fast, and kind of pushed my body to some new limits.”
Words of Caution
- Women may want to start with short fasts as extended fasting may wreak havoc on female hormones.
- Listen to your body.
- If you have health issues, or you’re concerned about fasting or what it will do to your body, consult your physician.
- Each person is unique, and you need to do what works best for you, and that’s going to look a little different from the person sitting next to you, or maybe it will look a lot different than the person sitting next to you. You really have to get in tune with your own body.
- Women who are pregnant or people who have diabetes, hypertension or other serious medical conditions, should be very cautious and careful when considering a fast. Always consult with your doctor or your health practitioner first.
Fasting Is Also Psychological/Mental
- Psychologically, I’m hungry. Psychologically, I need food. Psychologically, you’re getting “hangry.”
- Consider just drinking some water. It may will fix all of that.
- It’s being present in your mind.
Benefits of Fasting
- Reset the internal clocks.
- We have clocks in our bodies, and originally, we knew of the circadian rhythm clock that controls our wake/sleep cycles. Each of the trillions of cells in our bodies have a tiny internal clock as well.
- Fortunately, there may be a simple way to reset those clocks if they get off rhythm: fasting.
- Fasting increases gene expression for longevity and health span.
- Research has found that short bouts of fasting increased lifespan up to 100% across multiple organisms (bacteria, yeast, worms, mice).
- Fasting flips a lot of switches, and this can affect aging and longevity pretty drastically.
- It’s an efficient way to lose weight.
- Research has found that in almost every organism, short bouts of fasting increases the life span. Studies show restricting calories increases life span.
- We have an insulin response every time we eat. As that happens, it does slow down our base metabolic rate over time.
- It’s a great way to lower insulin. * Diabetics should consult their physician before fasting.
- If there’s no food coming in, there is no need for insulin to rise. Insulin will stay at its low, steady basal rate, and there will be no elevations or spikes.
- Purges cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.
- Cancer cells get their energy from lactic acid, essentially from a breakdown of carbohydrate into glucose into pyruvate into lactic acid, also known as sugar.
- They are starving little monsters that need to eat and divide constantly. If you take away their food supply, they die.
- It promotes autophagy.
- Definition: the cellular self-cleansing process that breaks down and recycles damaged molecules and cellular organelles
- During the fasted state, as insulin drops, autophagy increases dramatically, perhaps 5-fold.
- A high rate of autophagy is characteristic of young organisms; with aging, autophagy decreases, and this allows cellular damage to accumulate. By fasting intermittently, autophagy rates can be reset to that of a younger person.
- The decline of autophagy may be an important factor in the rise of cancer, Alzheimer’s disease and other disorders that become common in old age. Unable to clear away the cellular garbage, our bodies start to fail.
TeriAnn’s Advice “To complement fasting, if you’re going to make this part of your way of life and your health journey, do yourself a favor and eat healthy food, too. That’s really what’s going to get you the best bang for your buck, is the fasting coupled with living a really healthy lifestyle.”
Types of Fasts
- Intermittent fasting
- 18/6 – fast for 18 hours per day, feed for 6 hours per day
- 16/8 – fast for 16 hours per day, feed for 8 hours per day
- If you do intermittent fasting, you do a 16/8 or 20/4, something like that, plan your one meal to be with your family. Make it easy.
- A lot of research shows that you should stop eating a significant amount of time before you go to bed, and then let your body go all night without food.
- You may just choose to do that one week every month.
- You may choose to do it every other day.
- Dinner-to-dinner fast
- You don’t eat Saturday night—or you eat dinner Saturday night and you don’t eat again until Sunday night, and you do that once a month.
- Dry fasting
- With dry fasting, we start going a little down the path that may not be the place to go all by yourself without some sort of supervision.
- Fasting-mimicking diet
- A five-day fast, where it’s a calorie restriction. I think day one, you have about 700-800 calories, and then day two through five, you keep it under 500 calories.
- I think it’s safer for women in terms of hormones staying balanced and staying in check, and things like that.
- Do it. Try it. See how your body responds.
- Get your electrolytes in. Make sure you’re getting your magnesium, your potassium and your sodium. You can get salt pills from Amazon.com. Or you can just add some pink Himalayan salt in your water.
* * *
Subscribe to Empowering You Organically
Never miss an episode!
Episode 42 – The Top 6 Reasons to Fast