- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ of a small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 12 ounces dried macaroni (around 3 cups)
- 1 russet potato, peeled & diced
- 1 medium red pepper, roasted & chopped (or 1 med carrot, peeled & diced)
- ½ cup full-fat coconut or nut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds or cashews, soaked
- 2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (use more for a cheesier taste)
- 3 to 4 drops Organixx Lemon Essential Oil (or 1 TBSP lemon juice)
- ½ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Paprika for garnish
- Cook the macaroni al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside (keep warm).
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, potatoes, and red pepper/carrots and saute for a few minutes, until fragrant.
- Add in coconut milk and vegetable broth, stir, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and let cook until veggies are soft and fork easily goes through when inserted (about 10-15 minutes).
- Carefully pour skillet contents into a blender container and add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Pour blended sauce over cooked pasta and gently mix together. Garnish with paprika and enjoy!!
- Alternate serving idea: Use this cheesy-tasting sauce with cooked potatoes, steamed veggies, and different types of pasta.
Serves 6. Per Serving (based on using red pepper, coconut milk & sunflower seeds):
Calories: 355.4 | Total Fat: 11.7 g | Total Carbohydrate: 52.1 g | Dietary Fiber: 3.7 g | Protein: 10.7 g
To make this recipe gluten-free, replace the traditional macaroni noodles for those made with gluten-free flour such as corn, rice, or chickpea flour.