- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk of choice (e.g. almond or coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (omit if using pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small amount of sweetener of choice, to taste (e.g. 2-5 drops organic liquid Stevia)
- Sea salt for salting eggplant
- Coconut oil or butter or ghee for frying
- Wash, peel, and slice eggplant into rounds. Lightly sprinkle each side with salt and allow to sit while preparing the batter.
- Add eggs, milk, spices, and vanilla to bowl and whisk well.
- Heat pan over medium heat.
- Blot both sides of eggplant with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add eggplant to bowl of batter. Poke a few holes in the eggplant to allow the batter to soak in.
- Cook as usual for French toast, flipping when one side appears golden brown and cooking on the other side.