- 1 large eggplant, peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk of choice (e.g. almond or coconut milk)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg (omit if using pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small amount of sweetener of choice, to taste (e.g. 2-5 drops organic liquid Stevia)
- Sea salt for salting eggplant
- Coconut oil or butter or ghee for frying
- Wash, peel, and slice eggplant into rounds. Lightly sprinkle each side with salt and allow to sit while preparing the batter.
- Add eggs, milk, spices, and vanilla to bowl and whisk well.
- Heat pan over medium heat.
- Blot both sides of eggplant with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add eggplant to bowl of batter. Poke a few holes in the eggplant to allow the batter to soak in.
- Cook as usual for French toast, flipping when one side appears golden brown and cooking on the other side.
Makes 10 slices. Per slice (based on using coconut milk, cinnamon, liquid Stevia & butter):
Calories: 38 | Total Fat: 2.1 g | Total Carbohydrate: 3.2 g | Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g | Protein: 1.7 g