- 2 grapefruit, peeled, seeded & sectioned
- 1 avocado, pit & outer peel removed and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon finely chopped shallot or red onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 pinches of Himalayan or sea salt
- 1-2 pinches of cayenne pepper (depending on desired heat)
- 1-2 drops of Organixx Grapefruit Essential Oil (optional)
- Make a dressing by whisking together the shallot/red onion, cilantro, olive oil, salt, cayenne, and essential oil in a mixing bowl.
- Section the grapefruit by slicing off both ends and then cutting down the sides of the grapefruit to remove the entire outer peel. Cut out sections of the grapefruit by cutting right beside each of the white membrane lines. Squeeze any extra grapefruit juice into the vinaigrette dressing.
- Peel and cut the avocado into slices.
- Arrange grapefruit and avocado slices on a plate. Top with the dressing. Enjoy!
- Can also be served over mixed greens.
Serves 3. Per Serving (based on using shallot):
Calories: 188 | Total Fat: 13.5 g | Total Carbohydrate: 17.9 g | Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g | Protein: 2.2 g
Avocados are high in fiber and contain more potassium than bananas! The fat in avocado helps your body absorb the vitamins and antioxidants from other plant foods.
Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin that gives it both its hot taste and its medicinal properties.
Cilantro helps cleanse the body of toxic metals such as mercury, arsenic, and lead. It possesses antibacterial and anticancer properties.
Grapefruit has many reported health benefits including helping to prevent cardiovascular disease and certain kinds of cancer, managing diabetes, and improving digestion and sleep. However, there are numerous drugs that should NOT be taken with grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re on any prescribed medications.
Smelling grapefruit essential oil helps boost energy and vitality, while also calming the mind. It may also help with appetite control. In a 2005 study, rats exposed to the scent of grapefruit essential oil for 15 minutes 3 times a week experienced a reduction in appetite, food intake, and body weight.
Olive oil is high in nutrients including vitamins D, E, K, and A as well as omega-3 fatty acids. For the highest quality, look for organic extra virgin olive oil in dark glass bottles or tins that has an expiry date.
Red onions are a rich source of quercetin and anthocyanin, powerful antioxidants that protect the heart and lower inflammation and cancer risk.