- 4 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- Zest of 1 organic lemon (about 2 Tablespoons)
- ½ cup Lakanto, divided
- 1 ½ cups finely ground blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored & sliced ¼-inch thick
- ¼ cup filtered water
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (thickener)
- 2 scoops Organixx Cleans Sourced Collagens powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Lakanto (more for a sweeter version)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼-½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place a round of parchment paper on the bottom of an 8- or 9-inch cake pan, and grease it and the sides of the pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, lemon zest, and 1/4 cup of Lakanto until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond flour, nutmeg, and baking powder. Add the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and mix until well combined.
- With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites for about 1 minute. Then add in salt and vinegar. When egg whites start to thicken, slowly add in the remaining ¼ cup of Lakanto and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the almond flour mixture, half at a time.
- Place batter into prepared cake pan and bake 350 for about 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle.
- Let cake cool completely. 10 minutes before serving, make apple topping.
- Serve cake with warm apple topping and enjoy!
- Whisk arrowroot powder, Collagens powder, Lakanto, vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon in water and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt coconut oil over medium heat, then add sliced apples. Cook, stirring constantly until apples have softened a bit (about 6-8 minutes).
- Add in water mixture and cook for about 2 additional minutes, stirring occasionally until apples are desired tenderness and sauce has thickened.
Serves 8. Per Serving:
Calories: 217.2 | Total Fat: 16.4 g | Total Carbohydrate: 27.9 g | Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g | Protein: 7.7 g
Almond flour is a gluten-free flour made by grinding almonds after the skin has been removed. It’s softer and finer than almond meal which is made by grinding almonds with the skin left on.
Apple Cider Vinegar is full of enzymes and good bacteria. It contains acetic acid, which has been shown to help lower blood pressure.
Apples cleanse the colon of bacteria, viruses, yeast, and mold. They also support the liver, digestive tract function, and brain health.
Cinnamon is a good ally in fighting respiratory infections due to its antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and expectorant properties.
Coconut oil provides a boost of healthy fat that can energize and satiate. It is a strong antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial food.
Egg yolks are rich in nutrients including iron and vitamins A, D, E, and K, but it’s the white that provides the most protein. An average-size egg contains around 6-7 grams of protein with around 4 grams coming from the egg white.
Lakanto is a zero-glycemic, zero-calorie blend of monk fruit and erythritol that makes an excellent sugar substitute for low-carb recipes.
Be sure to use lemon zest from organic lemons to avoid pesticide exposure.
Nutmeg has a warm sweet flavor and boasts a variety of impressive health benefits. It’s rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds. Animal studies show it may help boost mood, enhance blood sugar control, and reduce risk factors for heart disease.
With the Organixx Clean Sourced Collagens in this recipe, you not only get 5 different types of collagen, but also camu camu, acerola cherry, horsetail extract (silica), and zinc gluconate to ensure your body can actually USE the collagen you’re taking.
Vanilla was once used in Europe as an aphrodisiac and in the production of certain medicines such as nerve stimulants.